Monday, December 31, 2012

Exchange money


Best place to exchange money at Cancun Airport or PDC
I would do it at the airport. Be wary of ATM's as I've heard of some charging outrageous rates. I did use the one at Walmart; however, and only paid a $2.50 fee.


Sorry, I would not take this advice



Exchange money at airports anywhere in the world give lousy rates as do ATMs that give US$.

I know there is a Santander (Bank of America afilliated) in Terminal 3


I'd rather pay the 3% fee at the ATM.



The bank affiliated ATM at the airport or in town will always be best. And, as said above, get pesos, never dollars.

 if you bank with Bank of America, you can make withdrawls from Banco Santander Serafin in pesos without a service charge.

It has often been said that Cancun airport, surprisingly, offers a good rate. The problem here is that until you've had chance to check out the alternatives you have nothing to compare against. I'd tend to steer clear of changing money at the airport unless you are well aware of the rates in Cancun.

The best place to change travelers checks is at a money exchange place or 'Cambio' in downtown Cancun. The Cambio's in the hotel zone normally offer an inferior rate but may be more convenient, there are many of these in the main shopping areas. Your hotel probably offers the worst rate going, however, they are convenient and you may not feel it worth the effort of a bus ride in to town to make a few extra dollars as you may have better things to do! 

4 comments:

  1. The first Santander ATM you will see is at the airport just past the customs checkpoint on the left side, before you exit the airport. I wish I had used this ATM but decided to bail after waiting 5 minutes for some dolt who apparently couldn't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fees? The BoA website indicates that there is a 1% fee for ATM withdrawals with cash conversions. This still might be a good deal but it isn't "feeless".

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you use your debit card to withdraw money (pesos) from your checking account they do not charge a transaction fee. I did it twice last week. However, if you use the debit card to make a purchase somewhere else they will charge you 3% transaction fee. I withdrew 5000 pesos from the Santander near customs at the airport when we arrived and another 5000 later in the week from the Kukulcan location and no transaction fee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What should I do if I plan to travel internationally and use my credit card?
    To prevent an interruption in credit card access you must call the telephone number on the back of your card to have an agent place a travel flag on your account.

    Once the travel flag has been placed, if you encounter any issues, please contact us toll free at the number on the back of your card or internationally by calling collect 1.302.738.5719. For business card issues call 1.509.353.6656

    What should I do if I plan to travel internationally and use my ATM or Debit Card?
    To prevent an interruption in ATM or Debit Card access you must call the telephone number on the back of your card to have an agent place a travel flag on your account. Your ATM Card or Debit Card must have a primary checking account linked to it in order to have no interruption in service while traveling internationally.

    Once the travel flag has been placed, if you encounter any issues, please contact us toll free at 1.877.833.5617 or internationally by calling collect 1.602.597.2395.

    ReplyDelete